Everyone Needs a Good Detox Diet!
Yes, even the healthiest folks should do a detox diet at least once a year (I do my
2-3 times a year).
We can't help but get toxins in our body - by drinking tap water, eating non-organic food, junk food, restaurant food, and a bunch of other things - even breathing the air!
In addition to a good detox diet, some of the things you can do right away to decrease chemicals and toxins are:
1. Say NO to plastics – Plastic containers release toxins into food, especially when heated. Never heat or microwave foods or beverages in plastic containers - use glass whenever possible and avoid “cling” wraps. Avoid plastic water bottles (especially if left in the sun).
2. Cook safely – Avoid Teflon and other nonstick cookware, they contain PFOA, a potential carcinogen. Cook food in glass, stainless steel, cast iron or ceramic-coated steel. Microwave popcorn bags contain even greater amounts of PFOA and when heated at such a high temperature, it is likely to get into the popcorn itself. Pop regular popcorn in canola oil or use an air popper.
3. Eat/drink organic – Many fruits, vegetables and other foods are high in pesticides. Check out
Why Buy Organic
– eating these foods organic will get rid of about 85% of the pesticides you’re consuming. Also note that chocolate, coffee, juice, nuts and other foods can also be high in pesticides.
4. Drink lots of good water – Drink and cook with only filtered or purified water. And drink a lot of it - ½ your body weight in ounces of water - to help flush out toxins.
5. Eat clean protein – Beef, chicken, pork, eggs, etc can have pesticides from the food they eat, hormones and antibiotics. Eat free range at least, organic at best. Fish can have pollutants such as mercury, especially large fish like tuna and mahi-mahi. Farmed fish can have PCBs and other carcinogens. Eat smaller fish like mackerel, sardines and tilapia and eat wild vs. farmed. Wild Alaska salmon is one of the best!
6. Minimize grilling foods, especially with charcoal – Grilling creates the formation of potentially carcinogenic compounds. Charcoal also creates air pollution. If you grill, use electric or gas, cook meats first to minimize grilling time, and never char meats.
7. Keep your home clean and green – Household cleaners and laundry products can contain a range of chemicals that irritate skin and eyes, can trigger allergies and asthma and may have harmful long-term health effects. You can find green products at your local health food store.
8. Choose natural personal care products – Conventional skin and hair care products contain a variety of harmful compounds that may cause long-term health problems. For example, lipstick may contain lead.
9. Go for clean air – In addition to a smoke-free house, use an air purifier to help remove molds and toxins from the air in your home. Floor coverings, especially carpet, can outgas formaldehyde and wall paints can also outgas harmful chemicals – steer clear of these especially if you have small children.
10. Minimize medications – Watch the use of acetaminophen and ibuprofen as they hinder the liver’s ability to detoxify chemicals and use antibiotics only when absolutely necessary. Medications may block your body’s natural ability to heal – unless your condition is serious, try to let your body heal naturally.
11. Play safely – Choose toys made from natural materials, like wood or cloth vs. plastic, especially for younger children who may chew on them. Avoid playgrounds where pressure treated lumber is used; it’s a source of arsenic.
What's the best way to get the toxins out? It's not the quick fix like a cleansing product or foot bath (the results don't last long). It's a robust liver detox diet and colon cleanse that focuses on good whole foods and lasts long enough to get rid of cravings and change your eating habits.
Don't let the word "cleanse" scare you. We detoxify through eating cleansing whole foods - there is no shake product to buy. There is one day of juice fasting - otherwise, you are eating good food the whole time.
While the average weight loss is 5-20 pounds, this detox diet is modified for those who want to lose toxins but not weight.
Are you wondering if a certain food triggers symptoms like fatigue, breakouts, digestive stress or congestion? We will eliminate certain trigger foods like dairy and gluten and reintroduce them to see how your body reacts - knowledge you must have to be healthy. This is a gentle detox diet with big results!
Benefits of the
Gentle Detox Diet
* Jump start weight loss
* More energy
* Reduce/eliminate cravings
* Clarity of mind
* Better digestion (less gas, bloating, constipation, diarrhea…)
* Reduce allergy symptoms
* Less aches and pains
* Reduce inflammation that can lead to illness
* May lower cholesterol, blood pressure, blood glucose levels
* Release emotions (helps depression, anxiety, etc)
Go to Home