Why Buy Organic
It's important to eat organic whenever possible.
Here are some reasonswhy:
• Keep chemicals and pesticides from getting in your body (and out of the air, earth and water) and avoid disease.
• Produce tastes much better and has more nutritional value – more Vitamin C, minerals and up to 40% more antioxidants.
• Food additives are banned or severely restricted (processing aids, preservatives, artificial sweeteners, colorings, flavorings, and MSG).
• Protect your children – they have a lower body weight and their developing organs are less able to detoxify their bodies, thus chemicals are up to 10 times more toxic to children than adults.
• Farming practices protect the environment by reducing pollution and conserving water and soil quality.
• Save energy – more energy is used to produce synthetic fertilizers than to till, cultivate and harvest all the crops in the U.S.
The Worst 15 (Most Contaminated with Pesticides)
• Nectarines - Imported
• Grapes - Imported
• Sweet Bell Peppers
• Blueberries - Domestic
• Kale / Collard Greens
• Grapes - Domestic
The Best 15 (Least Contaminated with Pesticides)
• Sweet Corn
• Sweet Peas - Frozen
• Cantaloupe - Domestic
• Sweet Potato
Excerpt from the Food News from the Environmental Working Group at http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/list/, updated 10/2011
Other foods to buy organic:
• Meats – may have antibiotics and other medications to prevent disease and growth hormones to get more out of the animal.
• Dairy – may also have antibiotics, other medications, and growth hormones.
• Peanuts and peanut butter – can be high in pesticides and are more prone to a fungus.
• Chocolate – can be high in pesticides
• Soy – often genetically modified
• Corn – often genetically modified
Go from Why Buy Organic to Detox Diet Cleanse