My Top Diet Supplement Tips
Everyone has their favorite supplement tips - who to believe? And the aisle of supplements can be a confusing maze! Here are my top tips; remember everyone's needs are different!
1. First and foremost, do eat as many servings of good organic fruits and veggies you can get your hands on.
2. Next, I recommend a whole-food based (fruits, vegetables and grains) supplement. These food supplements are not created equal – you want one with studies to show real benefits. Please call or email me to learn more about my recommendation.
3. Omega-3 fatty acids reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke and are good for mood/depression and brain health. Eat fish (salmon, herring, tuna, e.g.), walnuts and ground flax seeds (refrigerate the flax). For supplements, fish oil is best (clean of contaminants like mercury), flax oil is fine if you want a vegetarian option.
4. You may need B12 if you’re a vegetarian or don’t eat much meat. B’s are the vitamins for energy (don’t take at night) and help with stress and depression.
5. Many people are deficient in Vitamin D, get tested and take a Vitamin D3 supplement if you are deficient. You can also spend about 20 minutes daily in the sun without sunscreen.
6. To help your digestive system (helps constipation and diarrhea), you may want to take probiotics every day (typically need to refrigerate them). You can also eat a cup of plain yogurt a day (other yogurt has added sugar).
7. Another common one on the supplement tips list is calcium. You may need a calcium supplement (especially if you are an older woman), calcium citrate is best as it doesn’t require stomach acid (which slows as we age) to be broken down by the body like other forms. Also check out these calcium-rich foods (it doesn't have to be dairy!):
Calcium in Food: % Daily Value
Low fat yogurt: 45%
Sesame seeds: 35%
Goat’s milk: 33%
2% Cow’s milk: 30%
Collard greens: 23%
Turnip greens: 20%
Mozzarella cheese: 18%
Blackstrap molasses: 12%
Swiss chard: 10%
Mustard greens: 10%
Remember to get high quality supplements so that they are bioavailable, pack a nutrient punch and are free of contaminants. Choose a place like Vitamin Cottage over your local warehouse store.
Go From Top Diet Supplement Tips to Diet Supplements